19 Jul 2014

Reverie.

To keep standing on my gnarled feet was becoming tough with each passing day, especially now when the monsoons had set in. You know how it feels when you are young and fresh, watching the world with a renewed perspective everyday. But now, when I am not sure if I will regain my youth ever, I know that I will just have to wait and watch how the things around me change. 

The energetic young ones who cannot wait to turn their faces towards the sun, while I wait for the sun to disappear so that I don't die faster in the heat. My children left me long time ago, not sure, if they will ever come back. They grow so quickly that I don't remember how they sounded. I remember their cries and the way I had sheltered them, but never the conversations. Now I cannot seem to recall any details of them growing  up and leaving. It's all become a blur now. 

Rain is falling in torrents around me as I see little creepers and weeds taking shelter beneath my feet. I no longer have the shadow of green canopied leaves and the fruits that I bore. I see all the others, green and alive, as I wait...for once my mother said, it was not necessary that I will die if I was bare. But this time, I felt, having lived more than 50 seasons that it was my time. 

As I see the sky grow dark, I feel a trembling within me... I fear that my time has come. That I will pass out without even knowing that I am dead. Then I see, a tiny sprouting near my toe. Was it me growing back again? I was dreading the morning, so I just remained still, closing my eyes, hopefully not forever. The morning comes with a fresh light, and I notice that I haven't flinched in the sunlight. I open my eyes to notice a brown myna cooing in my ears and look down, I have grown a twig!!! I was becoming alive again! I cried in happiness as the rains set in again. Being a tree wasn't so bad after all. 


Image Source

4 comments:

Keirthana said...

What a refreshing perspective! It was a lovely write-up Pradeeta :)

Wings of Harmony said...

@Keirthana: Your comments always encourage me! Thank you for the warmth and love! :D :D

Blasphemous Aesthete said...

Welcome rains! :D

Cheers,
Blasphemous Aesthete

Wings of Harmony said...

@BA: Yes yes! :D