22 Jun 2012

Letting the Cables Sleep


You in the sea, on a decline,
Breaking the waves,
Watching the lights go down,
Letting the cables sleep...


I am walking alone into the dusk, with the sun bidding farewell to me and the world. The concrete road sprawls before me like a torn gray carpet, laid down exclusively for me. The cracks on it and in my heart share a camaraderie as I absently hum to the tune playing in my head and look up. 

Darkness has begun to fall and I know something electric has maligned in the air. What's that? Aah. The rhythmic chirruping of the crickets. The dying Silver Crescent adds to the scene. Perfect. Just what I need. I check my pockets. Hmmm. Well. The task at hand is not an easy one. Never has been. Especially when you know that a large sum of money is involved against someone's life. I walk easily, not pretending to hide or run away. Nothing is at stake here. I am exceptional in what I do. And exception means you are singled out. You are meant to be alone.
Image Source: weheartit.com
Sometimes, when you become used to staying alone, for reasons unknown - you stop being afraid of losing anything too. It's like there are no ties holding you back. And really, no one does hold you back, it is you yourself - letting others just aid you in widening that fault line in your character. 

Oh. I am thinking too much. Just like my Brother. He is always thinking of hope, goodness, charity and peace, when it's not really about these emotions - it's how we perceive them. I mean, it doesn't make me any bad if I don't preach like him. I think I am just more realistic. He calls me pessimistic. That Arsehole. I shrug at his thought. People have always loved him more, for he is good and they have always been afraid of me because I am the bad one. As if they would know anything. They should step into my shoes and see. Ah Shoes. I have been walking for quite a while now. I think I have reached the right place. I take out her photograph, which has the address of her place behind it.

46 B, Rising Sun Enclave, Cobbler Street.

I don't rely on such means however, which could leave trace. But sometimes, I like to change my modus operandi. Gives me a sense of novelty. Even Gods cannot stop me from doing what I do. Perfect. I think as I stare at the duplex, looking inviting. I walk past the gates noiselessly. The security guard is asleep. Great. How do these people let such incompetent people guard their homes? The Light to the room, where I have to enter, is on. Someone must be with her. Tough. I inhale deeply and climb up. Walking through the front doors is not my thing. I keep one foot on the ledge of the ground floors window and hoist myself up on to the parapet of the first floor. Climbing feels good. Natural. Ah. I can enter her room from here. I peer in. I have managed to float up till here, I just hope I don't cause her too much pain. 

Damn. Emotions always fuck you up. I need to focus. Fortunately no one's near her. I enter the room silently. She is beautiful. Fair skinned and fragile. Her hair is tied in pig-tails. Well, suits her. I walk easily to her bed and place a cold palm on her forehead. She looks pale and almost on the verge of giving up. I will ensure I do it quick. As if on cue, the electricity goes off and she opens her soft beautiful eyes to me. After all, she is no more than 7 years old. Sometimes, I hate my work.

Image Source: eduguide.org
Her reaction is very different from what I am accustomed to. I am expecting her to shriek and panic, but she just smiles at me. I ask her, "Do you trust me?" She nods in affirmative. I think she knew I was coming to take her. "Then close your eyes." She agrees. I kiss her softly on her burning forehead and place my right hand above her heart. Slowly, I feel her heartbeat fade away. I exhale. In some other dimension, she could have been my daughter. I get up and turn around to leave. I feel a tiny hand slip into mine.

"They told me Death is scary. But you are really nice." She gives me her gaping smile. She has two missing teeth.
"So they say, little girl. So they say." I lift her up and float out of the window.

You see, you believe what you hear. I am not as sly as you think I am. What can I do, if my name is Death?

Blessed be my people!

PS: Death is the Ultimate truth, just as his Brother, Life is. All lives come to an end and all ends have a beginning. The verse above is from the song called “Letting the Cables Sleep” by this band called Bush. You can watch the video here.

PPS: I am leaving on 27/29th till 17th of July, I guess, for a mini trip to my village. I just hope things turn out good. I have a new phase starting after I come back. Till the next time I see you, fear not the uncertain, but embrace your own strength to face that comes.

10 comments:

Freelancer said...

wow! so did not expect this! beautiful and poignant.

Swarnali said...

Another gem from you. Woman, you never cease to amaze me. I love that song now, thanks :)

Rahul said...

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

meoww said...

as i tell you time and again..
you have not lost your spark..:)
and you NEVER will.
i know i had read the draft...but with all the wonderful imagery...
this feels even more beautiful..
i love you my girl..!!

blessed be
cheers :)

maithili said...

Sis this is such a master work by you! All through the post I was soo engrossed thinking that this is a contract killer maybe.. He might have a change of heart and all that :P But the end simply threw me off guard! Brilliant!!!

Sugar said...

Thats so beautifully written. Reading ur posts for the very 1st time. Massively talented u r.
"The cracks on it and in my heart share a camaraderie as I absently hum to the tune playing in my head and look up" i loved this.
All the best for the new phase of urs. waiting to read more of u.
P.S- new follower.:)

Blasphemous Aesthete said...

Sometimes, when you become used to staying alone, for reasons unknown - you stop being afraid of losing anything too. It's like there are no ties holding you back. And really, no one does hold you back, it is you yourself - letting others just aid you in widening that fault line in your character.

Don't try this on yourself. It can have only two outcomes which I don't wish to discuss.

For the post, I just want to say, Take me home evil angel!

Cheers,
Blasphemous Aesthete

phatichar said...

Beautiful. I like the way you say 'blessed be' and talk about death in the same breath :P

Have a nice trip, to 'n fro. :)

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

@FL: It's good to hear from you after eons :P :D Unexpected is sometimes beautiful, isn't it? :)

@Swarnali: :D Thanks! I love this one too.

@Rahul: Thank you! :) :) :)

@Meoww: Your words encourage me, like always :* I love you too, my Lady! :* Blessed Be!

@Maiths: Hahhahhahh!! :D Well you were right about the killer part. ;) :P Thank you! :D

@Sugar: Welcome here, dear! :D I am grinning now, that you like what I write...thank you for that compliment. :D
Thank youuu for following me. Means a lot! :) :D Blessed Be!

@BA: I wish to know what those two outcomes are. Really. Cause, may be, just may be, I might have already been...doing this :| Hhahaaha, well, what are you doing? Talking to the evil angel! :P :P Blessed Be!

@phatichar: Hahah :D :D Well, death is just another journey...so... erm :D I can only hope and bless. :D Thank you for the wish! :D

Aditi Ray said...

wooowww... this was exeptionally amazing!!
how do u get all these thots n ideas in ur head in the frst place?!!
*awestruck*