31 Oct 2011

What's my name? ;)

Blessed be, morning and lots of love, fellas!

*Disclaimer: Narcissist post ahead. Go on, read. I know, I am charming... ;)*

Sorry for that over dramatic disclaimer. Thought I'd break the rut of sad, earth shattering powers and magicks and slightly hover at the fringe for a while. Halloween is round the corner and even though I have never ever celebrated it, my secret desire is to be there, anywhere, once. And no, I am not telling who I will be dressed as. :P
Image Source: kickoff.net.au
On a serious note, this post was due for a while now. So, most of you know my name by now and those who do not - it's Pradeeta. Now, like everyone, I used to wonder what my name meant. The person who gave me this name never gave me a clear idea and I was obsessed with the fact that my name was something different, something unique. It scared me. I grew up. Yes, and then decided to ask the person who gave me this name. Now this person is my Paternal Grandfather's brother and was an English Lecturer in the village. 

Image Source: Google Images
I asked him what does my name mean, because when someone asks me, I am unable to tell them. He told me that he read about it in a book. And the story associated with the name goes as follows:
_____________________________________________________
Once upon a time (Yeah, I know, typical) there was a king, who's wife gave birth to a beautiful daughter. The astrologer in king's court warned him that this daughter will be the reason for his fall and that she should be killed. King was in a war with another ruler at that point of time and realized that this daughter might make him lose, so one day, he went to a faraway forest and left his few weeks old daughter in the jungle, hoping that some animal will kill her. (:|) Anyhow, the girl was not mauled/killed/destroyed by any animal. Instead, listening to her cries, a bird catcher rescued her and brought her up. He named her Pradeeta. (Wow!) She grows up to be a beautiful women and #Cliche' Alert, a Prince sees her and takes her hand and marries her. 
End of the Story.
Image Source: www.123rf.com
_____________________________________________________

There was something about this story that never satisfied me. When I got hang of technology, I scanned every single page on the internet to know what my name meant. My father told me Pradeeta was derived from Sanskrit word "Pradatt" which meant "God's Gift". Now this meaning too sounded very *ahem* egotist when I used to tell people. I came across a Scandinavian page which said "Prad" is a root word, meaning small meadow - Seriously, by then, I was strongly disheartened. *Yes, I know. That is why I said, this was narcissistic ;)*
"Tut tut, fame clearly isn't everything."
After all, what's in a name? But I believe and so do all of us, that names are important as they create identity of a person, shape the psyche and attitude as well. With my name, it was always tough for people to remember. Some called me "Pardeeta" "Parineeta" "Praneeta" and I just got used to the similar sounding words by which I was recognized. *Sigh, being complacent can be bad sometimes*

Now, I have in my previous post *Nothing Else Matters* mentioned a roommate; I have also mentioned about her at DOV. Let's call her N. N is one of the most well read girls I have met and she has a special affinity for anything Japanese. She knows the language and would marry a Japanese guy at the drop of a hat. *N, I love you for those moments when  we check out adorable Japanese Guys together ;)* Anyhow, I was ranting about my miseries that how my name has bothered me so much so that now I really am on a mission to know what it means. Her answer was simple. And it shocked me so much that I stared at her like a Blow Fish. She said - 

"You know, Pradeeta sounds like Perdita, the heroine of William Shakespeare's Winter's Tale"

"WHAAT?"
Image Source: dimensionsguide.com
I felt that may be this is true and immediately checked it up. And yes, the story is same but freakkin' Spelling is WRONG! 

I read up whatever I could and learnt that Perdita was abandoned by her father, the King of Sicilia, who believed that she is an illegitimate child. Perdita (Click on the link to read about her) in Latin means "the lost one" and coincidentally, I have been termed as the one who is always lost in her own world. In my case, the meaning of lost changes. However, you will understand, how pacifying this was, that finally, after 23 years of intrigue and mystery, I understood and got the meaning of my name. And boy, don't I love it? :D

Image Source: bbc.co.uk
PERDITA
PS: I love Italian Culture. The name and Perdita's heritage are from Italy. Woohoo! ;)

38 comments:

Arpitha Holla said...

name can be a pain when you don't know the meaning right? Nice blog. Nice post. :) :)

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

@Arpitha Holla: Welcome here, my lady! :D :) I knoww, right? Thank you! :D

meoww said...

tadaaa..!!
finally you reveal the mystery behind your mysterious name..!!!
hahahaha..very nice very nice..
but what so ever it may be..
i simply louuuuu your name gurrll..!!!

P-R-A-D-E-E-T-A..!!!!

:D:D:D

cheers..!!

maithili said...

wow such wonderful meanings your name has..never mind the narcissist ones! I love them! The storyI have read in a childrens book but never the name! And yes it can be so irritating when people call you all sorts of names rhyming with yours!

I loved the meaning of your name! But yes more than anything else I love the uniqueness of your name :) :)

Red Handed said...

I absolutely love ur name. I love the way it sounds coming from my mouth :D
C even I am a narcissist :D..
I never knew about perdita.. Thanks for tellign me. And I soo want to learn Japanese...

dgdhan said...

thats good,, knowing about your name is a good excercise. after all what is more important than knowing ourselves.

www.readitt.in

Cяystal said...

Look, just be happy that your name had something, kinda something to do with Shakespeare's heroine. :P
ANDD, its intriguing how the two stories click no? And Pradeeta is a naice name. Despite all the hullabaloo ;)

A Lot Like Fashion said...

Ooooh this is supremely exciting! :D How cool is that! And you've written it in the most verbose manner :)
XX

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

@meoww: *Bows* :D :D Thank you My Lady! Oh, I love youuuuu gurl! :D ;) yeah, needless to say I love myself more...though you are just next in line :D :D :* Thank youuuuuu!!! Blessed Be!! :D :D

@maithili: Hehehehe! :D *Hugs* Thank you Sis!!:D I know, that you understand, coz you have suffered in the same way :D :D Yayyyy :D But, that you love the uniqueness of my name, makes me feel betterrr! :D D

@Red: *Blushes* Eeeeee! :D :D Yeah yeah, Narcissists we are, adorable, mysterious and in love with ourselves! ;) :D I want to learn Italian :|

@dgdhan: True that, friend! :D :D Welcome to my blog! :D

@Crystal: :P I am happy that it has something to do with a tragic tale with a happy ending ;) :D I know, I was so dumbstruck...even though a bit degrading that I am the "lost" one :P :P :D Hehehehe, thank you! :D I know, the hullabaloo ;) :D *See, the magic of narcissism ;)*

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

@A Lot Like Fashion: I knowwwwww :D :D :D Even though it's just a name ;) And my lady, you looked gorgeous on Diwali :D Thank you Thank you! :D :D

Atrocious Scribblings said...

You've probably done enough research on your name in this post to earn a PhD in it, esp with your detailed references to folklore, history and languages. Lest I forget to mention, it is indeed a lovely name.

Dont even get me started on the misspelling and marauding of names. But ultimately, a name is a name is a name, right?

Nice space you got here, truly Mystical but skeptical; I doubt.

Cheers :)

Suruchi said...

all said and done...whatever it means your name is musical and adapts so well on the mouth...i even told you earlier it is a beautiful and unique name-and the uniqueness also lies in the fact that it has no meaning...so it is open to interpretation-and you define it by being as you are:-)

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

@Atrocious Scribblings: Hahaha :D I have no idea what to say about the research, was helped by the roommate :D And thank you for the praise. :) :)

Yes, name is a name, but important :D

Thank you, you may get to see skepticism in some previous posts...however, yes, you are right, More Mystical than Skeptical :D :D

Blessed Be! You have a very nice Blog too. I am following! :D

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

@Suruchi: You know, before you said that, I never loved my name. So, I thank you, for saying that it's musical :D :D :D And I agree with everything you say. :D :D Thank youuuuu so much! *Hugs*

Pria said...

Your name is really unique! I was even confused when you said how various names people call you with. I went back and rechecked :)

Keirthana said...

This post just made me love your name even more. You name definitely makes to the top 3 of my favourite girl-names list. *Drum rolls* :)(Aditi and Shakthi being the other 2)

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

@Pria: Heyyyy, thank you thank you :D :D Hehehe, even I get confused and turn to check, if I am being addressed or someone else is. :P :D

@Keirthana: Yayyyy, thank you!! :D :D I have never been honored so much! :D :D *Applauds* Yayy :D But, you sure that you want to name your daughter after me, she might become like me ;) :D

Anuranjani said...

Aayeee... Your name is beautiful. :)
You know the meaning of your name. Look at me. I still don't know the meaning of MY name.
And, oh! The frustration when someone pronounces/spells your name wrong.
P.S.: Nice Blog! :)

Anuranjani said...

Also, I am the 70th follower. So, I deserve special treatment! ;)
JK :D

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

@Anuranjani: Let me tell you without sounding like a diplomat, I love your name too :D :D :D Seriously! :D It's pretty! Heheheh, I know my name's meaning NOW. :D If you want, I can help you! :D ;) I knowwww, Imagine when I used to react on Parineeta or Pernita :P :D Thank youuuu!! :D

And yes, Ms. 70th Follower...You made my day! You make a wish, I shall fulfill it. MSM's promise. :D :D

Anuranjani said...

Hahaha! Thank You. I love my name too. :P
HELP ME! It baffles me. :|

And, and, I am so glad my comment made your day. I am That awesome! :P
As for the wish. Let the right time come. *dialogue* :P

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

@Anuranjani: We all are narcissists here, my lady! :D :D I shall help you. *Grins*

Come on, you know my Blog was awesome. ;) :D Jk. Ah, I hope your right time comes soon, I promise you won't regret it! *Applause* :P :D

PS: Glad to see you here. Blessed Be! :D

Paanipuri Lover said...

okay, 1) Your name is beautiful. Yes, nothing else, but beautiful! 2) Yay! You found out it's meaning. *insert party scene*

But really man! Your name has a beautiful ring to it! :D :D

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

@Paanipuri Lover: Hahahahhahahha :D :D 1) Thank you My Lady! :D 2) Yayyy, I found the meaning. :D Tell me where! *I have been making too many promises today ;)*

*Blushes* Thank you! *Bows* :D :D Oh and welcome! Blessed Be!

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

*Tell me where about the party scene :P

Paanipuri Lover said...

Aaye haaye! jhoothe vaade?! :P

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

@Paanipuri Lover: Try Me. :P :D

*Jeez, I seriously sound gay. Nevermind. I love women. :D ;)*

Farila said...

It is a beautiful name

VPZ said...

well if anyone has an exotic name.. theres normally some history behind it :)).. others of us just have common names.. which are just.. plain names.. lol... which i do envy sometimes u know.. but im still proud of my name as it stands.... great post.. and even google correct me by saying "did you mean pradeepa"...lol..

Keirthana said...

No problem at all Pradeeta :) From you writing I can gather enough that you are someone whom your mom is proud of and the same goes with my daughter too :)

PeeVee™ said...

I have told you this before, I am telling you now and I will keep telling you for as long as we know each other, that Pradeeta is by far the prettiest name I have come across, even more so than Tushara, Naman and Raguel, which are my favorite names.
And if you're not careful and stick to calling yourself MSM, I will name my kid Pradeeta. JeeHaan.

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

@Farila: Thank you! :)

@VPZ: Ah, exotic! :D :D Hehehe, Imagine, I started to believe that Google wasn't the best search engine which means there's no other source that could tell me who I was... :D Thank you!

@Keirthana: Yayyyy! :D :D :D Thank youuuu!!! <3

@PeeVee: :D :D :D Raguel? ;) :D I love ya!! Jee, ab aapki jaisi marzi :D :D *Grinning*

Jane Doe said...

All I have to say is 'what's in a name?'. You are already famous in the blogger world as the mystical skeptical gal. Keep rocking.

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

@Jane Doe: Hehe. Thank you! However, you know not, how weird it was not to know what my name meant. Thankfully,the quest is over. :D :D

And Mystical Skeptical Gal sounds really nice :D :D Thanks for that comment and the visit here. :D :D

Viya ;) said...

Whoooa!.. literally after 23 years! phheeww.. Through DOV i got to know your name was Pradeeta but i dunno why i always addressed you as MSM.. :P
And finally i realized today that i hadn't been following you and thatsy i never got updates on the dashboard from you! :P ..
Quiet a story ;)!

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

@Viya ;): Hahaaha! Are you following me now? :P I am. MSM is shorter and easier. Was given to me by a blogger friend. He shortened it and it stuck with everyone! :D :D

Viya ;) said...

hehe yes yes i'm your 75th follower ;) ! :P :P
its gonna take a while for me to get used to calling you Pradeeta :P :P

Bhargavi Kashyap said...

Are waah, tum to humare lawyer-princess ho :D
I wrote a similar post too, long back :P
Whatte connection :P

And tell me about weird name pronunciations =|

Much Love :)