11 Aug 2011

Blessed Be!

Merry Meet my open minded Mystical Fellas!

A lot of people (read normal people) have asked me, "WTH is up with your Blessed Be?" And I sigh and mentally roll my eyes. But then I realize, I may sound absurd and a little more than just plain weird. And therefore, I will clue you in to what this 'Blessed be' actually is. It has a lot more to it than a simple old blessing given by our elders though the feelings may be same.


So I will start with a little background about how this phrase came about in my life. Mind you, I use it only in writing. I must confess, I am not very brave when it comes to admitting in public about me having a Mystical Skeptical Blog. I digress. Getting back to the subject, I am a nature lover and love everything associated with it. When I was in VIIIth grade, I came across my first stint with Astrology - in the form of Linda Goodman's Sun signs and Love signs. At that point of time, it was a means to escape from the solitude I felt. I read the entire written chunk in three days and kept reading it, till I was thorough with the traits listed there. Later I would come to know how psychics are unreal and How Linda Goodman and other popular psychics failed their basic ESP [Extra Sensory Perception] tests. 


ESP TEST CARDS - better known as Zener Cards.
You can know more about Psychics Here. That post is sorta boring but very informative. ;)

Very recently, around last year, in May, I came across this very ancient religion called Wicca - after reading few books which spoke about invoking the nature by ancient tribes and using it for healing etc. I am sure some of you must have heard about this. What we call witch-craft is the distorted and twisted version of this benevolent way of life. Yes, I am a believer of Wicca. No, I haven't embraced it yet.

Wiccan Symbol for Wheel Of Fortune
Now what is this Wicca, you ask? Isn't it Black Magick? Or worse Witchcraft, Sorcery and all such bad scary monstrous things? Or isn't it Anti-Christian Belief? Something adhering to Satan?


My answer is No.

Wicca is a very different religion aka Neo Paganism which was brought into vogue by a person called Gerald Gardner (I do not believe in his way of life) in the earlier 20th century. It was embraced by one of his coven members Doreen Valiente who believed that commercialization of such pure knowledge is wrong and therefore, broke of from Gardner's Coven and created her own coven, where like minded people were given a free will to follow their heart and belief, without being uncomfortable about certain rituals followed by Gardner (Refer to Skyclad: to be naked during performance of rituals...what farce!).

High Priestess Doreen Valiente
The followers of Wicca worship a Goddess and a Horned God. They predominantly believe in the power of Nature which is represented by these Five Elements - Air, Fire, Water, Earth and Spirit (Symbolized by a five - pointed Star). They believe in one common Wiccan Rede (Counsel or Belief) - "An' Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will" (Doreen Valiente, 1964). Wiccans believe that if you do any harm , it will come back to you three fold. Wiccan practice is WHITE MAGICK: Magic done for the better of the world as opposed to BLACK MAGICK, meant to fulfill one's selfish desires.

Five Elements: Clockwise from right, Tree representing Earth, Clouds representing Air, Fire, Water and the Center Star represents Spirit which joins the other four together.
The Wiccans believe in Magick and it is said that if you have faith in yourself and in the nature, that created you, your good intentions will work in your spells. My personal opinion is that if you are working towards anything with a positive thought and strong will, your energy makes it possible. The rituals are performed in a circle, invoking (praising and calling) all the five elements one by one and then concentrating on the good one is seeking to do. The Wiccan Rituals are based on Moon Cycles and are also Seasonal. Also, there are Eclectic Wiccans who do not believe in forming a Coven and practice alone. Someone who admits to being a Wiccan Follower is said to have "Come out of the Broom Closet".

Stereotypical Image of a Witch with a Broomstick and  a Black Cat. 
So, this is about Wicca. And Blessed Be is a Greeting they use to wish people good health and thoughts. And therefore, I use Blessed Be...keeping in mind, that those of you, who do read my Blog come here with an open mind and heart, and learn something new. :)

With Purity and Openness of Mind and Soul - I take you along with me to this Beautiful Journey called Life.
PS: This post wasn't meant to offend anyone or worse, scare/freak out anyone. The views expressed here are my personal beliefs and you may differ, like or hate them. This is an endeavor from Mystical Skeptical Me to solve another confusion of sorts causing mental block in all of us regarding certain spoon fed notions. Blessed Be!

21 comments:

Vinati said...

Very interesting. :)

Red Handed said...

Ooh Hi5! Because i own the Linda Goodmans book on astro sunsigns and love match.
Have read it fully.
Paganism i knew..Wicca is new to me.
So BLESSED BE! :D

TheGirlAtFirstAvenue said...

Girl... you continue to amaze me with all your research and findings about these things! I've never heard about Wicca so i got a lot of info from here!
People have such old-fashioned and stereotypical views about things like witch-craft and stuff... and most of it is all negative.. so i think its great that you are putting in so much effort to make people think otherwise :) Good post :)

maithili said...

Wow! My mystical soul sister you are amazing! Wicca is what "House of Night" series is all about right! I m enlightened!! good work! Keep us posted with your knowledge :D
once again, great work!

subtlescribbler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
subtlescribbler said...

even i own that book by Linda goodman and although i too dont believe in it..its good to read some things once in a while from it!
I heard of WICCA in Paulo coelho's book brida( was a name of a character who was a witch) i m a ardent reader of his and he does come up with things associated to magic and occult in some of his works. which intrigues me...so good to knw more abt it. Blessed be :)

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

@Vinati: Thanks. :D Blessed Be! :) :)

@Red: Wicca is also called Neopaganism. :D Oh, and refer to the part where I say I came to know that *ahem* I outgrew them :( I love when you guys appreciate my views! :D Blessed Be! :)

@TheGirlAtFirstAvenue: Thank You so much! I mean, I really appreciate it, seriously. :D Wiccan and Wicthcraft are two different things...which is what I intended to do here :D And I am glad, I could present my view here. :D :) BLESSED BE!! :D

@Maithili: Awwww Sis :D! Thanks!!! "House of Night" is a mixture of Paganism, Wiccan, Cherokee Folklore and similar stuff. :D :D I was reading on Healing and House of Night made me fall in love with everything that Nature provides....Blabbering, ain't I? ;) Thanks for loving me! :D Blessed Be!

@Subtlescribbler: Hey, Blessed Be! Yeah, I had sneaked that book from someone and returned it in 3 days ;) Yeah, I had a diary too which held all the info I had gathered. God knows where it is now. :D :D I am glad you liked this one. Paulo Coelho's 11 Minutes is the only one I had read. I am downloading Brida now. :D :D :):)

Nia Charms said...

Nice post. To be true got a bit boring in between but the last part was worth it. I didnt have a clue. Everything is new to me except Linda though. I own it rather my mum does but I havent read it. Not even once.

P.S: I still remember the post you tagged me on. I ll write about it soon :D

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

@Nia: I understand how too much information feels like ;) :D Anyway, thanks for reading this one. You are a tough one to please, ain't you? :)

Nia Charms said...

Hahah. Sad people think so. Ever heard lazy crossing with busy. Yeah I am that. Most of the time I dont have time when I have I am too lazy to comment.

But dun worry you are on my list.

Hey you on twitter? You know twitter love happened recently.

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

Ahun! :D Lazy - that word tops in my dictionary :D :) And it's just me... you make me feel like an old one :P :D

Nah, am not on twitter. I need some time to sort that one... :D :)

Nia Charms said...

:( :(

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

Awwww.... *Hugs* Lemme sort out the clutter in my brain, then I'll be on Twitter :D :D

MiGhTY MiCK said...

this is the first post of yours that i hv read fully...
being a layman in this all, i could understand it...

thx for keeping it simple and not just putting freaking stuff...

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

@MiGhTY MiCK: Blessed be! :) I am a layperson here as well...just that I read before I write, to reach out to others like me :D :D

You are welcome! You have read my posts before?

Priyanka said...

So much of research. Wow.
And interesting too, I have always been fascinated with voodoo and Wicca.

And blessed be:)

Blasphemous Aesthete said...

Is 'Wicca' somewhere related to 'wakka' what Shakira sings for the song for Africa? :P

Pagan religion, or I should say culture has been the oldest of all. In fact, even our own ways dating back to very old times when the first veda was written narrate to all the hymns and chants in the praise of the elements of nature.

It's all in different parts of the world, the same theory and practice. There has to be something in it, co-incidences at such scales are unfathomable.

Anyways, getting back to the post, I think it would be intriguing to know more about the 'Wicca' culture, lets see what 'wiki' has to say about it.

Nice read.


Cheers,
Blasphemous Aesthete

The Solitary Writer said...

Good research...I'm glad you have lots of time for all this... :) Interesting

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

@Blasphemous Asthete: Blessed Be! :D You are seriously funny! :P No, 'Wicca' is not 'Wakka'...especially not by the booty-shaking Shakira! :P :D

Yes, the invocation of Nature has existed since a very very long time - Indra, Agni, Vaayu,Shiva and other Gods whom we bow before, have their origin in the Nature. :D There is a reason why Nature is worshipped. And Paganism is just trying to reinforce the power of Nature.

'Wiki' makes it sound like a textbook note. Though I have referred to it to see how global perception about this is.

Thank You Mr. Thakur. :D :D :)

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

@Solitary Writer: Blessed Be! On the contrary, I do not have lots of time...sadly. :( These are the researches I did two three years back... :D :) Thanks for stopping by. :D :D

The Solitary Writer said...

you do not need to thank me for petty issues. You are a true talent I would say =)