6 Jan 2011

Can't Read My Poker Face!

Blessed Be everyone!

Have you ever given thought to what it would be like to know a person just by looking at him or her? It would be so great to mould ourselves or rather mould the other one, as we see them.  I am sure, we all must have at some point of time. Most of the people agree that if they could have one Superpower, they would want to be a telepathic, followed by being invisible. I for one, want to be a healer. Anyway, more of that later. 

Talking about today's post. I decided to write about how Public Speakers and Entrepreneurs, Psychics and Astrologers seem to talk in an undaunted manner, picking on the weak points of the public in large and seem to work on them. How are they able to impress the masses? Well, the answer is quite simple. They read people. Not in a magical sort of a way, but in a very practical, psychological sort of manner. They project their voices and maintain brief eye-contacts with the public. In this post, I would be concentrating on a narrower area and talk about the techniques employed by Psychics as they deliver their predictions about a person, looking like these Mystical Beings from a Parallel Universe. Since, I am a Face-reader of sorts, I'd like to talk about this amazing technique I came across a few months back. Though one thumb rule, which I have learnt about this is that the more I use it for self-glorification, the more inaccurate my readings become. I do not predict future, I merely act as a port-key for people to connect with their inner-selves. Without sounding anymore like the so-called psychics about whom I'll talk later, I shall start my first post.

Most of us would have come across these shows on TV channels where a person spreads a set of Tarot Cards on the table and gives readings about 'what will happen next?' Also, as is popular in Western Culture (mostly derived from Indian sages, no offence intended) a female adorned with multi-colored gemstones and heavily darkened eyes, who would look at you in a queer way (excuse the pun) and say, "I can see something...there is a tall man blah blah, with whom you have some trouble." We all would have wondered, some in an awed way and others in a 'Oh-I-don't-believe-this' way, how do these people churn money out of our pockets not so discreetly? I am going to give answer to that as I am myself a Face-reader of sorts, though not like the ones with scary looking eyes and creepy 'I-know-about-your-past' looks. 

I started reading people when I was 13 and since then, I never looked back. I was happy living with the delusion that I have acquired some Superpower, as teenage are the days when we love to reanimate our fantasy world. Anyway, as I grew older, I started researching on various Sciences (read pseudo) and people who were followers of the same. I read on Astrology, Tarot Cards, Gemstones, Auras, Psychics, Healers etc. etc. and the hunger to know more kept increasing. One day, very recently that is, my mother came over to stay for few days with me. I was working with a firm at that time and was quite stressed at that point of time, which worried my mother. I came back at eight in the night that day, when my mother told me smiling, "I saw some prediction about you today (My Zodiac Sign, of course) on certain channel. It said that you need to be more positive and that you should stop being so worried about things. Tomorrow is going to be really good for you and you should wear the color Green..." I nodded in agreement at how true the prediction was. Then my mother asks, "You are Aquarius, aren't you?" I look at her surprised and say, "NO! I am a Taurean Mom! That day I realized that may be it is high time I question certain things that I've always believed in. I looked up on internet on techniques to predict and other such stuff. And then I came across a VERY interesting site which is run by a bunch of skeptics. You can check it out Here. Anyway, I felt that someone splashed cold water on me and I was out of my delusional world within moments. Here's to the concept of Cold-Reading. You can give it a try as well, though I myself do not employ any of the same, I'll tell you how to distinguish between a real deal and a fluke one, when someone next time tells you that they can see your future. 

Face-reading is not magic and it is easier if you belong to the 'observer' types. Psychological understanding of a person is also helpful, though one may tend to be prejudiced while reading someone they know. Not intending to generalize, I'll talk about the face-reading (including body-language reading) psychics, especially the commercial ones and the ones who host TV shows employ these techniques. 
  1. They will ask your birth date, day and time to ensure that you may think they are charting out your Natal-Chart (which is the chart representing position of planets when you were born). Then You have look out for this. They will make a very broad statement that will seem to make you feel that they know more about you than they actually do. For instance, the question posed could be like, "I can sense that you've been having quite a few problems with your peers, especially the ones with whom you spend more time with. Is that true?" It is obvious that all of us at some point of time may have had issues with our peers. These readers tap into the most common of the issues. If their question extracts a positive response from us, they would lead to more questions narrowing down at one point and then without realizing, we, the subjects that is, would open up and give answers to the questions ourselves. 
  2. Ever wondered why there are strange lights used while a person is being read, or some weird music that sounds ethereal? All of it to induce human mind into thinking there is 'something' out there! Accelerated heart beat, sweaty palms and other such physical factors take place as the adrenaline rushes in our blood when we feel that some one can see through us. The Key is to Look straight into the eye of the person who is reading you. How to counter this? Well, do not blink. Simple! Make sure you try and breathe easy and keep your mind open. I promise you, you cannot be fooled. It is very hard to read a person's body language if they are completely calm and poised. 
  3. Poker Face can be the best defense.Yes, you heard it right. Neutral expression can kick the so called reader in the shins. He or she will have more 'Misses' than 'Hits' (That is to say, broadest of the questions would fail). When someone stares at you, make sure you do not tense and do keep your face devoid of any expression. It will not only increase your confidence and make you look ready to take anything on, this may also help you in competitions where the opponents will be confused about whether you are nervous or not. 
  4. 90% of the Psychics use the Cold-reading techniques consciously and the other 10% are subconscious readers. The latter ones are harmless till they do not commercialize their 'talents'.
These are some popular methods you can use in case you are confronted by a Psychic, either by your family or anyone you know.

I personally do not question a person when I read them. I tell them this is not magic and I am just using psychology to read them. I also ensure that if I am unable to tell someone something about them, I am being honest about it. I usually think a lot when I sit down to read a person, recollecting how they behave, how their eyes function in a situation, their general nature. Now, I'll tell you about the real deal. Most people, if they are interested in such science...I call it a science because it involves quantum physics, meta physics, Psychology, Anthropology etc. they would not commercialize it. They would also be aware of the fact that making something appear larger than it actually is, does not take them anywhere. Such popularity is short-lived and hinders one's conscience. But, if you can employ these techniques in day to day life for some normal purpose, for instance, when you sit for an interview, or when you have to make a presentation, this would help you to understand the psyche of the people in front of you and you can be confident. 

There you go! I hope this post is informative and all the questions and queries are welcome. All the views expressed here are my personal opinion and I do not intend to question people who are genuinely interested in this (I am included in the lot as well). I will write more about such things next. Your suggestions about what you want to know more on a topic, are welcome. I can write more about this technique if you all want to know. Till then Blessed Be! my amazing people! Keep smiling and believing in things, but not blindly. See you tomorrow!

5 comments:

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

Blessed Be Everyone! I promise to be much brief in my next post. The topic is such that I had to expand on it for better understanding. However, leisure reading is not so bad. Till the next time, keep reading! :)

A Lot Like Fashion said...

You know you have the art and its mighty darn impressive that you do! :)
P.S: Long posts are not BAD, especially if you can keep your readers hooked.
XX

Mystical Skeptical Me said...

Blessed Be A Lot Like Fashion! I was waiting for a response over this and I am glad, I have supporters like you to pull through! :D I hope I managed to get your interest! :)

bigboy said...

wow this is really informative and well written i have never known this side of you.........i am completely hooked now will keep up with all the recent posts thanks again for including me in such a wonderful experience........keep it up!!!

Chandana said...

just bumped into ur blog... Its a refreshing change from all the other blogs that i've been following... :)

Nice post... very interesting!